When Macaully Ryan and I ran ALR Landscaping 5 years ago with the help of Geoff V Brockled, we learned things the hard way. Here’s what we discovered:
- Always add 20% to estimates of work as padding. By default, humans under calculate, and often times there are unforeseen inefficiencies. This goes for:
– pricing – labor – materials – time
Give yourself a buffer on everything and enjoy the pleasant surprise of extra profits from time to time.
- It’s okay to learn as you go – to say yes something you’ve never done before and figure it out along the way
- Issues with charging high fees are in your head and most people are willing to pay more than you are asking. You Do them no favors to charge lower just because you are afraid to charge a fair fee.
- A fair fee is as much as you can get.
- Selling is actually easy – rapport is everything. Become their friend, get their trust, then tell them what to do.
- Customer happiness is more important than the outcome of the job itself and no, the two are not always connected.
- When you get a new client, you now have 10 new clients. The neighbors, their friends, and family become your clients too. Really get this.